Thursday, December 01, 2005

Trip to Nowhere






On Sunday I went on a Recreation Dept. sponsored "Trip to Nowhere." Basically they took us out on Deltas (huge people moving on ice machines!) as far as we could safely go on the sea ice to see what we could see. The sea ice is being weird this year -- a huge iceberg that for the past five years has caused the sound to freeze solid, has moved, and that is causing these crazy pressure ridges on the ice, which look really cool. But what this also means is that the sea ice is fairly unstable and we can't go to places like Cape Evans or Cape Royds, where we would normally go to see other huts (like Shackleton's) or penguins. So we just went out of town a ways and were lucky enough to see some sleeping Weddell seals (the dark blobs in the background -- some scientists came by on showmobiles to check on them) and just be out on the ice on an incredibly beautiful Sunday. +30 degrees and no wind!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Al!
I feel your pain with the change from warm tropics to cold weather. Wise and I just got back from London and Dublin, fabulous time but weather was so chilly. VT is in of itself not all that hot either. Wise is having the hardest time with static electricity, I forget that living in the humid climates one doesn't know what it's like to get a SHOCK just from opening your car door. I keep telling Wise I had no idea how many wrinkles I had on my body as I haven't seen white skin in YEARS!
Love the pics and updates, keep 'em rolling.
Amber

December 06, 2005 9:25 AM  
Blogger the kid's pal said...

Hey girl! Great to hear from you. Your trip sounds great!
Wise would not do at the South Pole at all -- I heard the static electricity there is crazy! People have set off the fire alarm while making their beds there from the static shocks coming off the blankets.
And oh my god, I got wrinkles overnight too! I always thought people on Kwaj looked young -- now I know why! Nothing like 80% humidity and a tan to make your skin look supple. :)
Take care and Happy Holidays!
al

December 08, 2005 5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Alison,

I love all your pictures! I am jealous you had a white Christmas! You look happy and like you are enjoying yourself! I love your yellow machine :) Your survival training sounds a bit scary, but mostly fun. You weren't claustrophobic in the ice tunnel?...Someday I'll drag Chris someplace cold :) I love this website!

January 03, 2006 2:34 PM  
Blogger the kid's pal said...

Sandy! It's so good to hear from you! How funny that you miss the cold -- seems like every decoration around here is a tropical scene, and I'm always saying "that's what Kwaj looks like." But it is pretty neat here, especially during the holidays. Give the kids and Smiley big hugs for me -- I miss you guys!
al

January 03, 2006 9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home